Saturday, January 23, 2010

Produce Co-op


So I have been really excited to try out this food co-op I blogged about earlier. This morning I did my first pickup. It was very well run, very organized. You wait in a line which moved really quickly. They then have the fruits and veges sorted into orders in seperate baskets so in my case I was picking up 3 orders (mine and 2 of my sister-in-laws) so I took the produce from three vege baskets and three fruit baskets and loaded them into boxes and that was it. The produce all looks very fresh and none of it looked overripe. I paid $15 and got all of the above:

1 huge bunch of lettuce
1 head of broccoli
2 cucumbers
3 zuchinni
7 red bell peppers
Roma tomatoes (Kyle couldn't keep his hands off them!)
Bananas
Apples
1 bag of pears
1 pack of strawberries
Mandarin Oranges
Grapefruit

I also got some 9 grain whole wheat bread through the co-op which I am really excited to try out.

Here is a link to the one I went through - www.bountifulbaskets.org. But if there isn't one in your area then you could always google food co-ops and see about one in your area.

1 comments:

Alena said...

Okay--so I figured out what I would have spent on all of that produce including weighing the apples,etc. I tried to use prices I would have paid with price-matching and good winter sale prices--I even looked at my adds and used the current advertised prices. My total that I would have spent, at best, in the winter was #30.56. That's at least a 50% savings!!!!

Thank you Shanna for finding this awesome deal!!!!

Post a Comment