Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thomas Nelson Book Review - 5 Cities that Ruled the World


5 Cities that Ruled the World: How Jerusalem, Athens, Rome, London, and New York Shaped Global History, by Douglas Wilson. I found this book to be a tough read. I had a hard time getting through it. I am interested in history and when I saw this book I felt it was one that I would enjoy. But I found it really hard to follow. Maybe it was just too complex for me. The basic idea behind the book is that these five cities played a major role in shaping the world as it is today. He then spent about 40 pages going through the history of that city and why it was so influential. Although I agree with him in the importance of these cities I did find that the way that their histories were presented was very hard to follow and really grasp unless you had a very strong background in history. That being said, I do believe that this book has a lot of interesting information in it and that someone who is a real history buff and a solid understanding of the history of these places to start would probably have an easier time reading this book and would enjoy it a lot more then I did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment