Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Ever Elusive Wags Diapers

Have you had a hard time finding the Huggies diapers in stock? I sure have. Every store I have talked to says that they will restock and are cleaned out in 10 minutes! We are a crazy bunch of couponers aren't we?!

Well I have a couple suggestions for you to try. Keep in mind, stores vary and checkers vary but if you keep these things in mind you may get lucky and get to take advantage of these great deals that are hard to catch!

Ask for a rain check: I have collected rain checks for diapers and wipes from two different Wags this week as I have been out searching for diapers. The nice thing is that they gave me a rain check for the price with the RR figured in so I will still get the great price, not just the advertised price and I can do it on my time (so long as I keep in mind that my coupons will expire) rather then worrying about having to find some in stock this week which I have decided is impossible! Now again, keep in mind that stores and checkers and even managers vary. I got a rain check on Monday at one store from a really cool checker while my friend Rebecca was there at the same store just a short time after me and talked to the manager who was really cool but told her he just couldn't issue her a rain check. He had no idea that the great $5/1 and $3/1 coupons were out there and wasn't prepared for us at all! Don't worry Rebecca, we'll go together next week and use my rain checks on both of our purchases. :)

Call ahead: I have 5 Wags within a reasonable distance from my house but I really don't want to haul my kids and go to all of them searching for diapers. So calling ahead and asking if they have the item you are looking for in stock helps. You can also find out when they are getting a truck in with more of the product so you will know when to call back and check again if they are out at the time.

Price Match: Now this you will certainly want to make some phone calls on. Credit for this new piece of info goes to my sister-in-law Alisa (AGAIN, man she's smart). As you probably know, Walmart will price match. Alisa heard from her boss that her bosses sister (who is a huge couponer) that her Walmart will price match and factor in the RR amount as well. Could this be true? Well if you ask the first three stores I called then NO. They said they will match the printed price in the ad but won't factor in the 40% off that you get for the RR ($10 off of $25 = 40%). So I tried calling one more store as my last ditch effort to see if any Walmart in my area would do this and ... LUCKY ME! I talked to a really nice manager who said they should have no trouble doing that. So I went in hoping that I wouldn't run into any resistance. And I didn't! I just told the checker before he rang up my things that I had approval from the particular manager for the $6 price on the diapers and the $3.60 price on the wipes. And he just gave it to me without any trouble or questions or double checking. And I have never had a problem with Walmart using internet printable coupons and this time was no different. He didn't bat an eye at my stack of coupons. Yeah! In the end I ended up getting 9 packs of diapers and 3 three packs of wipes for $21 (the regular cost of 2 packs of diapers). Yeah! Plus I had a $50 Walmart gift card that we got when my husband bought my cell phone for me for Christmas so I used that so it really cost me nothing OOP!

The only down side was they had only 3 packs of Natural Fit diapers which were size 5 (I was looking for size 3 and 4) which I am not sure Kyle will ever get into (skinny bum!) But I picked them up anyway and I will take them back later and exchange them for the size I need. No big deal! On the upside they did have lots of the Gentle Care care (size preemie, newborn, 1 & 2) so I was able to get 6 packs of diapers (2 Newborn and 4 size one) for my cousin who is about to have a baby! Yeah! The other good thing that I found was they do have a Natural Care type of wipes so I was able to get three of those for $.60/each. I could've gotten more but I really wanted to save some of my coupons in the hopes of using them on diapers, not just wipes.

Then it gets even better, sort of. So I still had six $3/1 coupons and six $5/1 coupons which I really would like to use on diapers for Kyle. So I decided since I was out I would swing by the Wags on my way home which I had called earlier in the week that said they were getting a truck in on Thursday. I thought it was worth a try to see if I could get lucky and find the Huggies shelves stocked. No such luck. The guy said they got a truck in this morning and they were cleaned out in 10 minutes! Crazy women! :) But I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for a rain check even though I have one from another store. So I asked and the guy gave me a rain check for the diapers at $6 each. So I will go back in the next couple weeks (when they are stocked again) and hopefully I will be able to use the rest of my coupons and get a great deal on the size diapers I need. Yeah!

Hope this info was helpful. Sometimes it is worth it to look for work arounds when you can't get the deal you wanted at the time it's advertised if it's something you really want to take advantage of!

1 comments:

Mara said...

Hi, I just stumbled upon your blogs - I like them a lot (and your boys are a-dorable!)That's phenomenal! I wish my Walmart's were so helpful! Maybe I'll try that next time and hope I get a friendly manager!
That was such a fun deal to do - I was able to get 15 at Walgreens only by going Sunday morning before church.
Have you heard of Caregivers Marketplace? You can submit your receipt for various products (including Huggies diapers) for an additional rebate through them. The Huggies diapers get a .75 cent/pack rebate.
If you want to know more, I posted about them here in these couple posts:
http://supersavingsblog.blogspot.com/search?q=caregivers+marketplace

~ mara

Post a Comment