Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thomas Nelson Review - Read & Share DVD Bible

A few weeks ago I signed up to become a book/DVD reviewer with Thomas Nelson Publishing Company. You can read that post HERE.

I received my first selection very quickly. I choose to review the Read & Share DVD Bible Volume 1. This is about a 60 minute DVD with 13 segments, highlighting 13 best loved stories from the Bible. Each segment is about 3 minutes long. The segments include 1) "The Beginning" which explains the creation. 2) "Adam and Eve" which shows Eve being tempted by a snake and Adam and Eve being cast out of the Garden. 3) "The Flood" which shows Noah building the Ark, collecting the animals, the flood and then land and the rainbow. 4) "Abram" which shows Abram and Sarah being brought to the promised land through the birth of baby Isaac. 5) "Isaac and Rebekah" which shows the servant being sent for a wife for Issac and bringing Rebekah back with him. 6) "Jacob and Esau" shows the twins being born and the selling of the birthright. 7) "Rachel" shows Jacob working for Rachel, being tricked to marry Leah and then working longer to marry Rachel as well. 8) "Home Again" which shows Jacob bringing his family back home with him and reuniting with his brother Esau. 9) "John the Baptist" shows the circumstances surrounding John's miraculous birth and him baptizing Jesus. 10) "Jesus is Born" shows the angel coming to Mary through the birth of Jesus. 11) "Jesus Tempted by Satan" shows the temptations Jesus faced from Satan. 12) "Jesus Loves Children" shows Jesus healing children and performing the miracle of the loaves and fishes. And 13) "One Lost Sheep" shows the story of the Prodigal Son.

I chose this DVD because I thought it might be a good Sunday video for my kids to watch. We sat down one evening after we received it and we all watched it together. I thought it was a good little video without any major doctrinal issues. I am reviewing this from an LDS perspective and that was very important to me. There were a couple things that were a little off in my opinion, like angels having wings and Jacob actually "wrestling" with God before he went out to meet Esau, his estranged brother. But other then those few things I think that it was well done to help young children understand the basics of these gospel stories. My 6 year old and 3 year old boys sat and watched the whole thing very calmly without jumping around or being wild which is a feet in itself so that alone tells me that it was well done to teach children and to keep their attention.

4 comments:

Ryan O'Berry said...

I just got my book in the mail to review, so I am very excited about that. I'll have to read my email about details for blogs. And I have been meaning to ask you how you "link" web pages of other blogs or comments to your blog. We may have to chat live for that.

AO said...

Sorry, the above comment was mine, but I keep forgetting Ryan has gmail account as well.

bp said...

Hello, We are watching the DVD now and almost finished watching all of them. it is fun I think!

Shanna Barnhisel said...

bp - Yeah it is fun. It's a little cheesy in parts for good for kids. And my boys have been asking to watch it a lot which is a surprise for me when usually they want to watch Dinosaur King and things like that.

Post a Comment