Thursday, March 5, 2009

Walgreens just got SO MUCH EASIER!

** Albertsons no longer accepts competitors coupons so this great news didn't last long. Oh well!
I will admit it, as much as I think Walgreens can be a great place for stocking up on household and beauty items it can be really hard to figure out the whole system, especially with all the rules about the RRs. I love getting them but you always have to make sure that you use them before they expire, don't try to spend them on the same item you earned them from (chaining), don't use them if you already have as many MFC coupons as you have items, etc. The rules can be tough to negotiate. Well I learned something that will make this so much easier. Giving credit where credit is due, my sweet sister-in-law Alisa is the one who figured this out. She remembered thinking that she had read somewhere that Albertsons would accept RRs. So she tried it out at her favorite Albertsons and it worked. I wanted to try it out myself before I posted about it. So this morning I went to Albertsons to get a couple good sale items and a couple things that we needed. My total came to about $16 after my regular coupons. Then I asked the checker if they took the RRs and she said YES! I gave her five $2RRs and one $3.50RR and ended up paying $2something OOP for my items. This is such wonderful news because now I have six less RR coupons that I have to plan out how to use. I would rather spend a little more OOP (or on my giftcard) at Walgreens and start using my RRs on my groceries at Albertsons because it is just so much easier. I had wondered about this when I first started doing this because if you look at the RRs it basically is just a MFC coupon from whichever company makes the item you earned the RR on (Colgate, Vaseline, Unilever, etc). Just because it says "Reedemable at Walgreens" doesn't mean you HAVE TO redeem it at Walgreens. I am going to ask when I go to other stores to find out if there are other stores that will take them as well. If anyone tries this and finds another store who will honor these please let me know.

Now, getting items at Wags that I can make money on and get RRs, even if I don't need them and end up donating them somewhere, is even more appealing to me if they will end up paying for my regular groceries.

Alisa - YOU ARE A GENIUS! :)

3 comments:

AO said...

Yeah! And we stopped to get milk at Smith's last night. If I had not been so spacey, I would have brought in my RR to see if they used it there. DANG! Oh well, milk was still on sale for cheap :)

Melissa said...

I asked walmart today and they said that they take them. Great News!!!

Shanna Barnhisel said...

That is great news Melissa! Thanks! My Aunt in Washington said that her Albertsons won't take them and she was going to try Walmart. Hopefully hers will take them as well. I did ask Macey's today and they don't take them which isn't a surprise since they don't even issue Catalina coupons.

Post a Comment