Thursday, September 17, 2009

Newspaper Deals and Other Coupon Options

Well we certainly didn't have enough time at the coupon class to answer all the questions you all had so I thought I would start posting some info that might be helpful to you as you get started with coupons. First and foremost, I have had a lot of people say to me "I guess we need to start getting the paper." I want to make sure that you all get the best deal on the paper so I went onto Pinching Your Pennies and here is the latest info they have posted about newspaper deals in our area.

Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune
Call: 1-866-755-NEWS (toll free #) ask for the Sunday only special

SLC Tribune Call: 801-204-6100
26 weeks for $26 (Fri-Sun print editions, Mon-Thur e-Edition)
Ask for discount code 26/26 (or 26/26J)

52 weeks for $39 (Fri-Sun print editions, Mon-Thur e-Edition)
Ask for discount code 52/39 (or code 52/39J)

This offer is only valid for a subscriber whose household has not subscribed to The Salt Lake Tribune during the past 60 days.

I get 2 papers, one Deseret News and one Tribune. I then get 2 additional sets of coupon inserts from neighbors. You can decide how many papers work for you. Remember that a lot of coupons are internet coupons so you don't have to get the paper, I just like to have both options.

My sister-in-law Alisa (bless her heart) who got me started doing this DOES NOT get the paper. She does pick up preview papers when she feels like there are coupons she would like to have. Preview papers are Sunday papers that are available to buy on Saturday and you can get them at Harmons, Walmart and other stores. The cost $2 for 2 papers and so that is a good way to get multiple coupons for an item that you want to stock up on. The bloggers will put out a coupon preview a few days in advance listing what coupons are going to be in the upcoming Sunday paper. HERE is a link to Hip2Save's coupon insert preview for this week. Keep in mind, here in the Salt Lake area we get the RedPlum insert in Tuesday's mail so it won't be in the paper.

Now there is another way to get ahold of multiple coupons when you really want to stock up on an item. You can buy coupons off of eBay or other coupon clipping services. Technically, coupons have no resale value so these coupon clipping services are only charging you for the time it takes to them clip the coupons and for the postage. I have only done this a few times, once for batteries, once for peanut butter and once for Breyers Ice Cream coupons. My sister-in-law, my sister and I ordered 50 Breyers coupons off of eBay awhile back and split them and ended up with freezers full of yummy ice cream for pennies on the dollar. HERE and HERE are links to those posts so you can see how they came in handy. It's usually super cheap to buy coupons and so it might be something to consider if there is a great sale coming up on something that you use a lot of. Another good example of this is Target often times has their packs of Rayovak batteries in their dollar bins at the front of the store. A few months ago a $1/1 coupon came out for any Rayovak battery pack. I ordered 20 of these coupons from a clipping service and I think it cost me about $3. With these 20 coupons I was then able to get 20 packs of batteries for free. With three little boys and all their noisy battery operated toys these come in really handy. The nice thing is that the bloggers usually will include a link to the eBay page where you can get the coupons when there is a great deal out there and coupons you can purchase. They really take a lot of the work out of this!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment